As I’ve told you, Haandbryggeriet will organise their own festival in Drammen, Norway in May this year. Lots of guest breweries from near and far,and they have asked on Facebook for suggestions on how to proceed with the plans.
I’ve never organised something on this scale, but I have attended enough festivals to know what I’d want:
- A web page/blog to be established right away, starting with programme and guest brewers. A comprehensive list of beers to be published at least a week before the event. Links to public transport, hotels etc.
- Make a deal with Ticketmaster or others, start promoting right away. Utilize the social media to promote the event for participants from abroad.
- A Friday and a Saturday session. Friday 16:00-22:00, Saturday noon-22:00.
- A press event on Thursday afternoon ( I don’t mean bloggers here, but for coverage of the event in regional and local media.)
- Prepaid tickets in an attractive package including food, souvenir glass, early admittance, t-shirt etc.
- Additional tickets at the door., at least for the Saturday session.
- Clear communications about which rare beers will be available when.
- Good no-nonsense food. Prime quality sausages, pies and stews.
- Payment by tokens – with a clear and comprehensible system. 1, 2 or 3 tokens per sample.
- Plenty of running water for drinking, for cleaning glasses and for washing hands.
- No formal speeches, but maybe some round table discussions with brewers, bloggers and others?
- I have no competence when it comes to portable toilets, marquees etc. Check with someone local who runs soccer tournaments or concerts.